For a subtle cocoa twist on the classic British scone, bake our Cacao Nib Scones this weekend – or pop along to our Roast+Conch restaurant in Leeds for afternoon tea, where you won’t have to make them yourself!
Makes: 17 scones
Time: 30 minutes
1kg / 35oz T45 fl our or plain fl our
161g / 5.5oz caster sugar
161g / 5.5oz butter, cubed
75g / 2.6oz baking powder
3 tsp / ground ginger
2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground nutmeg
60g / 2oz Hotel Chocolat Cocoa Nibs
625g / 22oz buttermilk
1. Mix flour, salt, sugar, spices, cocoa nibs and baking powder together well.
2. Rub in the cubed butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles a fine crumb.
2. Gently fold in the buttermilk until just combined.
3. Turn out onto a floured board, and roll out gently to 2.5cm thick. Using a 70mm pastry cutter, stamp out the scones. Do not twist.
4. For an even rise. Gently re-roll the remainder of the dough and cut out as many scones as possible. Brush with egg wash to glaze.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, at 175°C/347°F. Cool on a wire rack and cover with a clean towel to keep moist.
6. Cover your scone with raspberry jam, or Hotel Chocolat Hazelnut Spread.
For the Shopping List:
| Bag of Nibs – Trinidad
Fine cacao nibs from the West Indies rich in healthy antioxidants and feel-good compounds. Perfect for marinating, seasoning or
sprinkling on buttered toast or just snacking on their own.£7
|Chocolate Hazelnut Spread – Our classic praline spread, made with smooth, soulful chocolate and delicious hazelnut. Smudge generously onto pancakes, warm scones and fresh bread.£6.50|
|Classic Prosecco – Our lively and uplifting
Prosecco is exclusively
made in a boutique winery
in the Dolomite foothills.
Refreshing and fruity, it is
especially good with milk
and white chocolate.£19