Difficulty: Not so hard
Preparation time: 30 minutes plus chilling
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Shortcrust Pastry: 280g/10oz plain flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
150g/5½oz unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus extra for greasing
55g/2oz caster sugar
15g/½oz cocoa powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
1-2 tbsp milk
175g/6oz pecans halves
4 large eggs
60g/2¼oz light muscovadosugar
55g/2oz golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
55g/2oz butter, melted
55g/2oz Hotel Chocolat dark chocolate drops
1. To make the pastry, put the flour, melted butter,sugar and cocoa powder in a food processor and pulse until combined. In a separate bowl mix together the beaten egg and the milk. With the motor still running, gradually add the egg mixture to the food processor until the mixture comes together into a smooth ball of dough, adding a little extra milk if needed. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
2. Lightly grease 6x10cm/4in fluted tart tins with butter.
3. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured work surface until 5mm/¼in thick. Divide the pastry into 4 pieces and use to line the base and sides of the prepared tart tins. Trim the edge of each pastry case and prick the base. Put the tins on a baking tray and chill in the fridge until ready to add the filling.
4. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5.
5. Meanwhile, make the filling. Set aside 36 pecan halves and roughly chop the rest. Beat together the eggs, sugar, syrup, vanilla, melted butter, dark chocolate drops and chopped pecans. Remove the tart cases from the fridge and spoon in the filling mixture. Top each one with 6 pecan halves, then bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and set. Serve the pies warm.